Friday 23 October 2015

backyard bird count

A blue crane fishing out the...bulbul bath day #spyingfromthedeck. #flowerpressgarden #flowerpressbirdsthis beautiful spotted #pardalote has been...Version 2singturtledovesI've been photo stalking the birds...Came across this beautiful heron, a...Visiting today, an Eastern Great Egret...

Since moving to this street many years ago I've delighted in the open Greenway and canal that run behind us, bringing a huge range of birds into our garden and giving us a bush outlook.

So I was delighted to find the Backyard Bird Count which is running now - a nationwide public survey of birds in Australia. I'm looking forward to adding my observations to the count and sharing the range of birds who call this part of the world home.

I've downloaded the app and plan to do some surveys over the next couple of days, to record our local bird life. It takes just 20 minutes to do a survey, and you can do as many as you want. I think it will be a nice way to slow down, a chance to do something while doing nothing, a sort of mindful meditation.

I'm hoping some of our more exotic visitors plan to drop in so I can record what a truly healthy bird population lives here in the Inner West, so close to the CBD.

There is a page on the website too about bird friendly gardening, for hints to make your space even more welcoming.

Here are some photos of favourite locals who live in my neighbourhood.

3 comments :

  1. I'm doing this too. You have wonderful bird photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photographs are beautiful! As a fellow bird watcher, it always delights me to see what birds live in other parts of the world. Here in Canada, I often find myself looking for the black capped chickadees and ruby throated hummingbirds that visit the backyard tree.

    Birds make the world a brighter place!

    <3 Amy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and commenting :-)